Sunday, July 10, 2011

Links to the Past: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)


I will start things off by considering the recent re-release / re-make of Nintendo’s classic The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. First appearing on Nintendo’s home console, the N64 back in 1998, the game was an instant critical and commercial success. You can read more about the game by following this link. It has since been re-released several times in various formats. Its most recent incarnation has come in the form of a hotly anticipated title for the new 3DS portable. Many games get re-released, or ported to different systems. What makes Ocarina of Time 3D interesting is its history and its status among the video-game canon. It is a ‘classic’ game. And the ways in which we experience it as gamers will depend upon a number of factors, not least our knowledge of, or experience with, the game in its original form.

Let me begin by recounting my own experience with the original game. I received my first copy of Ocarina of Time for Christmas in 1999. I was 16 at the time. The game had already been out for a year, and I was well aware of the title, despite not having particular wished for or expected it as a gift. My initial experience with the title was less than perfect. I made it only about as far as Hyrule Castle Town Market before I ultimately laid it down for a considerable period. The game had failed to make a significant impression on me. I don’t remember when I returned to play the game properly, but I’m certainly glad I did. This time I was blown away. I fell in love with the intriguing plot, the exciting levels, the dramatic battles... Since then, I must have replayed Ocarina more than a dozen times. I later purchased a re-released version of the same game (as came included with a sequel for Nintendo’s successor to the N64: the Gamecube) in 2002.

I am currently anxiously awaiting my copy of the ‘new’ 3DS version of the title (having had to wait while my copy was delayed in shipping by the ash cloud from the Chilean volcano). The latest version is presented in glasses-free 3D, its graphics have been reworked, and some new content has been included into the title. However, much of the game remains unchanged, including its story, music and gameplay. You can read more about the new version by clicking here.

So why am I so eager to replay a title (yet again) that remains vastly unchanged from its original manifestation? My answer to this question, and the question itself, raise interesting issues of Nostalgia, Hype and Fandom.

I will start, in my next post, by considering those gamers who are experiencing Ocarina of Time for the first time in this revised 3D edition, before moving on to address longterm fans such as myself, whose experience with the new version becomes somewhat more complicated. In the meantime, I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the re-release of this classic. Those who may have played the original may wish to discuss their thoughts regarding the new version. Those who have not may like to share some insight on the concept of re-releasing or re-mastering old games (or other forms of media texts).

No comments:

Post a Comment