Saturday, July 9, 2011

Ramblings of an Aca-gamer

So, here we are. And we’re talking videogames… Yeah? So what exactly is there to talk about? We all know what a videogame is… right? We know it involves fixing our attention on a screen, clutching some kind of controller, our fingers rapidly twiddling a control stick or waggling a ‘Wii-mote’… We know it involves competing – either against a friend, a stranger online, or a virtual opponent. We also know that it is supposed to be fun. We play videogames, for pleasure, for amusement.
In actual fact, though, the answer is there is plenty to discuss. Video gaming is more than a trivial pastime, a casual diversion – it is an experience. For some the experience may be just that - trivial, casual or diverting, but it is an experience none the less. There are many different ways in which we experience video games. For some, it is the pleasure of competing against friends, for others it is delving into a well-crafted story that offers a beginning and a satisfying end. For others still, it could be the challenge of beating the game, or it could simply be a way to relieve stress.

So varied are the types of experience that the gamer has with the videogame, so to provide adequate topics for discussion. And the scope of discussion is potentially endless. My experience is just one of the many you all possess. Whether you play videogames yourself, watch others playing them, or are simply aware of their existence, the sheer presence and popularity of the video-game in our society warrants a closer examination.
Take a quick look online, and you will undoubtedly come across countless articles, both scholarly and non-scholarly, on the subject of videogames. So what does my blog offer that others do not? The answer is simply my own experience. The title for my blog is derived from the great scholar of cultural studies, Henry Jenkins, who declares himself an ‘Aca-fan’ (you can link to his blog here), an academic who writes about fans while being one himself. I too am an academic. I have spent the last few years researching fans and their activities, and am currently interested in the upcoming Hobbit film adaptation (of which I too am a fan, or ‘pre-fan’, given that the movies have yet to be released). But, lately I realised that, given my greatest passion (in terms of media texts) has always been the video-game, it would be interesting for me to take my research and apply it to my own experience with the medium. To be able to think and write critically about games that have meant so much to me growing up is quite the exhilarating prospect. Time, then, for some basic Q&A’s about my blog…
Q. Who should read this blog?
A. Anyone with an interest in videogames, either as a gamer, a fan, or an academic. Anyone who has played or watched a videogame and would be interested in reflecting upon their experience. And, of course, anyone with nothing better to do :-)
Q. What type of topics will the blog cover?
A. Anything and everything that I find interesting relating to the videogame world. I keep my eyes open for any stories relating to upcoming games, or developments in the gaming sphere. There is a certainly a great deal to discuss – everything from what online discussion boards can tell us about gamers’ experience with games, to the continuing debate between the ‘hard-core’ and the ‘casual gamer’, to the relationship between the gaming industry and its consumers.
Q. Do I have to be an academic to follow this blog?
A. While I am writing critically about ideas relating to video-games, I am not going to resort to cryptic academic language specific to the research field. This blog is meant to be enjoyed by everyone, and remains largely a launching pad for my own ideas that we might take further - leading to…
Q. How can I contribute to the blog?
Ideally, I would like this blog to develop into an ongoing dialogue on the video-game world. For my dream to be realised, requires a certain level of participation from you. This could take the form of comments on the various posts, ideas for new topics, and literally any feedback that you can contribute to further the conversation.
You can always feel free to disagree with me. I am not claiming that any of my ideas are right. They are merely my own thoughts and theories (with just a sprinkling of scholarly research thrown in to back some of it up). I hope you will enjoy reading my blog, and I look forward to striking up a discussion on the phenomenon that is the videogame. Game on!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment